National Pie Day (see Wikipedia) is something of a near-holiday, like a distilled version of Thanksgiving or something. Here in Kathmandu, we managed to gather enough guests to be able to sample EIGHT pies. The competitors:
1. Jean’s Innkeeper’s pie, a layer of chocolate and a white cake nestled in a pie shell. The best of both worlds I think.
2. my Apple Pie, perfection in a pan if I do say so myself 🙂
3. Leslie’s Lemon Meringue, a fresh twist on the classic.
4. Nick and Tiana’s Strawberry Glassée
5. Strawberry Mango
6. Jordana and Grant’s Apple Pear
7. Alder and Ryan’s Savory Veggie
8. Renée and Daniel’s Strawberry use-a-spoon Custard
The competition kicked off with all guests sampling a spoonful of Alder and Ryan’s Savory Veggie, nice for those of us who hadn’t had dinner (and really, anyone who doesn’t plan ahead gets quite full after a couple pieces of pie). We moved right in to the Innkeeper’s and Apple Pie, and so on, each guest rounding the table like a nascar professional, navigating each turn with pie server and plate in hand to get the next piece. We sliced into Leslie’s Lemon Meringue (I love the alliteration that Lemon-Leslie gives!) and enjoyed it’s citrus bite (quite after this dusty winter month). Nick and Tiana’s Strawberry Glacée delicately slipped onto our plates. The strawberry mango, Apple-Pear and lastly the Strawberry use-a-spoon custard played wonderful flavors all over.
All said and done, Leslie’s Lemon Meringue and Renée and Daniel’s Strawberry use-a-spoon Custard tied with 8 votes each. We elected to gift the custom embroidered apron (a la Jean) to Leslie who was still in attendance, with an honorable mention going out to Renée (incredible crust!).
The final count:
See you all next year! Bring your pie-tasting appetites and your best pies!