We’ve been here just about four days, and as a friend described it, to reproduce this week one would have to down a pound of ‘shrooms. In this sleep depraved state, we’ve come to discover to incredible gems of wisdom.
- Ordering “boiled water” will get you…boiled water. In glasses. Better to order mineral water.
- Laphroaig is only $42/bottle at the commissary! And a bottle is 1L rather than 750ml. Score.
- Not all dahi (yoghurt) is created equal. Try try again.
- Nobody gets angry in traffic. Or anywhere. Everything just IS.
- Everyone’s understanding of “spicy” or “mild” is completely subjective. So is the concept of “clean.”
- There are three distinct power socket types in our house. I’ve heard there are more than five altogether in Kathmandu. There is an indirect relationship for the number of appliances to the number of plugs available. It sometimes comes down to a choice of coffee maker vs. Internet, until we get more adapters.
- Building codes or physics need not limit the number of floors in a house. Standard practice is to leave the concrete pillars and uncut rebar above a house for when the offspring get married and need another floor.
Got to take Lucas to his school orientation today. Pretty cool. Jean had her first day of work. Don’t think she’ll be home shortly after five pm anymore; busy times.
Trying to reach us? We’re still adjusting, so email is best, but we have internet now, so you’re free to try and skype us at “hearthwood” or text me at “EMDYERII” on text+ (look it up; there is a way to start a text conversation by texting to a certain # with EMDYERII in the message.