The Brats of NIMH

DSC_3442.NEFa repost of Jean’s day this past week….
“I have to tell you guys about my day yesterday. To begin with, our internet reception had been spotty lately and in trying to fix it, Ed broke it, so I had no internet yesterday, no email. That is almost like cutting off my arm and was pretty distressing. I made lemonade though and instead of checking email I folded laundry and unloaded the dishwasher and made the beds, so things were looking up. Then I decided to go to the gym. (We have tentatively joined Lifetime Fitness – there’s a 30-day trial period.) The kids have been loving it so the older two are excited and get their shoes on. I go to get Eleanor in a paper diaper and of course she poops in between diapers. Sighing, I hoist up her legs and do the typical baby bum wipe when she suddenly sneezes. Sneezes really loud and really hard – sending a spray of poop jetting out and swiping the window, the wall, and the floor about 5 feet out. I’m not even exaggerating because in this case, I don’t have to. It was crazy. So I can’t even put a diaper on her because everything is poopy so I wipe her and throw her in the cradle and start cleaning up and while she is in there she poops on that sheet too. But I managed to clean up the window, floor, wall, and changing table, move her over, get a diaper on, throw the sheets with the diapers and get to the gym.
The gym was great, but when we left we had to go to the post office to mail out all these posters Ed sold on Ebay. Unfortunately, we ended up hitting the post office right at noon. Lucas and Merrill were running around all over the place and a bunch of people kept freaking out asking who’s baby Eleanor was because I had her off to the side (always in full view of course, and near me) in her infant carrier. It was like navigating Dante’s inferno and I was in the worst mood. Then, Merrill fell asleep in the car, which was a pain because it was before lunch. We arrive home and I take Eleanor in. I am on my way back to the car to get Merrill. I have just opened the door and am halfway stepping outside when I hear a very loud, deep, resonating PAK! sound. My head snaps up and I say, “What was that?!” and I see Lucas in the parking area. Lucas is looking at my car. I look at my car. My hands clap to my mouth as my jaw drops to the floor because my entire rear windshield is shattered. SHATTERED. I slowly, slowly, walk down the stairs saying “Oh….my…..gosh…oh……..gosh…” Lucas is just looking at me, then at the car, then back at me like he’s watching a tennis match. I said, “Lucas, what happened?” And he said, “I threw a rock up into the air and then BOOM!” At which point I very calmly told him he would have no dessert for two weeks and he needed to go into the corner – which he bolted to the house to do. I brought Merrill in and put her in bed, still in shock. When Lucas came out of the corner I told him he also wasn’t allowed tv for 2 weeks unless Merrill wanted to watch something and then it would be whatever Merrill wanted. (I decided that it wasn’t fair for her to be punished, not to mention I would die not being able to plug them in at least a little bit for 2 weeks.)
I called the insurance company and although it’s $200 we at least have a deductible so that’s all I have to pay. Which is good since the rear windshield has the defrost thingys going through it. After getting off the phone with them and setting up a glass appointment for today (12-5) I get some leftovers out of the fridge to heat them up for lunch and … my microwave makes a horrible sound and doesn’t work. Yup, gotta fix or replace a microwave/convection oven now, too.
The good news was that my mom was able to bring by her station wagon – which although tighter than my car still fits all 3 car seats, so we are able to drive that today to take Lucas to school. I couldn’t drive mine because I’m sure the whole rest of the window would collapse and I certainly can’t drive around a baby in 30 degree weather with a window out.
I had been planning on taking the kids to University Mall because Tuesdays movie shows are only $2 and the time we had to drop my mom off coincided perfectly so I decided to go ahead and go. We saw Enchanted and that movie was so cute and so much fun that even though poor Eleanor had a giant poopie during the movie that went out the back of the paper diaper and into her pjs I still emerged in a better mood and was able to laugh at how ridiculously bad the day was. So thank goodness for that good ol’ Disney magic. HOWEVER – when Ed went to give the kids a bath, we had no hot water! Apparently the guys who put in the water pipes in the basement did something. We finally got it back on, but it was another fun little stupid thing to happen along with everything else.
And that is why we’ll probably miss playgroup today.”