Dome Raising in detail

Hey everybody! I’d just like to say again just how thankful we are that we had such a great turnout for our domeraising. You’d think we had free beer or something!
For those of you who were there, this is review, but for those who weren’t let the story unfold…
Around 7:30 in the morning, Jean, myself, and Phillipson/Dyer crew arrive. We started finding the riser walls and moving them into position. The excitement was compounded by Jean having possible delivery signs.

Close to 8, Roger and Linda Boothe, of Oregon Dome, arrive. They immediately jump into the fray.
People began arriving around this time. We had so many people there, that while I may mention some folks, if I forget a name or two please forgive me.
At 9ish, the riser walls were up and we began to assemble the first triangles into pentagons.

The rest of the day was a blur. We quickly moved into the hexagons which join the pentagons. Dad was a great tractor driver, moving the panels up into the first floor. Kathy’s friend, Steve, was a great crew driver for the rolling scaffold. Chris Ermatinger and Mike Walser were also a great help for the triangles and the dormers.

By lunch, we were down to one main working crew, so we were able to rotate crews to eat and work in shifts. I made some hamburgers to go along with the hot dogs, and Holly brought TWO TUBS of oatmeal cookies. I think these were the most popular food of the day.

Around now, we decided to call the doctor to make sure Jean wasn’t getting ready to go into labor. The doctor wanted Jean to come in and be checked out, so Kathy drove her to the hospital. Robert, who has been under the weather, finally went to an urgent care center and was diagnosed with a temperature.

By afternoon we had all but the last dozen or so triangles in place. One last skylight was to go in our bedroom area, which will sit just above our bed.
By that point, all the pros let me up on the scaffold to help out. We’d become a crack triangle crew, hammering and slamming in the screws with the utmost precision:)

By 4:30, I put the last bolt in place. Most of our helpers decided to call it a well-worn day, and bid us adieu. Everyone helped out SOOOO much. It’s incredible we were able to do this in just one day. Even for most domes, it takes two.
Roger, my dad and Bob began nailing in the hurricane straps to the dormer eaves. And about this time my camera ran out of memory. You’ll have to wait for full dome photos in a day or two, but rest assured they will be up soon.
I went to the hospital and picked up Jean. Lucas isn’t on his way…yet.
Today, we began putting up tyvek, metal straps and the like. Josh and my dad stayed out helping until past dark this evening. He’s been so much help!